Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills

Approx Date: October 2007
Stored at 70*F 65%RH

A nice specimen, this cigar. Smooth wrapper, and great color. A little shag at the foot, but I’ll get over it. A peek at the business end showed only one or two veins, and the fill looked to be evenly packed.






Taking a whiff pre-light revealed some cut hay and woody notes, with a little farm animal in the background…horse? [Mr. Spock] Fascinating [/Mr. Spock] Punch-cut cold-draw was a little tighter than I’d have liked, and the hay and wood pulled though, no horse thank God. On to the smoking:

1/3 : Lighting the cigar greeted me with cedar and cream. The burn at this point was razor sharp, and the Short Churchill bellowed out great clouds of cedar and spice perfumed smoke. Delicious! Halfway through the first third, the cream subsided and cedar became the dominant flavor. Medium/Medium-Full

2/3 : Wow, so far, this smoke has me quite entertained. Cedar has gone to the background and freshly course-ground black pepper steps up. I was blasted by it! Not quite to the point of too much, but danced on the edge just a level or two below. Reminds me of Steak Au Poivre. Burn has remained perfect, with nicely striated grey-white ash that announced the peppery-punch by sloughing off to the ground. Medium/Medium-Full

3/3 : Things are starting to tone down a bit. The peppery goodness has settled down to allow mellow creaminess (almost cashew butter) bring this smoke to a relaxing close. Burn is starting to get a little ragged now, but corrects itself every other draw.

Wrap up: Where do I start?!? This cigar was very satisfying, and kept me interested down to the very nub. I smoked this one in the late morning with a black coffee, and lasted me about an hour and a half. This seems long for me with a robusto, but taking into account it’s gauge, that’s probably about right. I felt a little bad smoking this cigar in front of my Dad (he was sans smoke), but I got over it. :P IMHO, I believe this particular example of the RyJ SCs was in it’s prime. It had lots to offer and kept me glued to my seat anticipating what it would bring to my palette next. I only wish I had the rest of the box to horde. :cigar:

Score: 92
Tighter than preferred draw affected the score here.

No comments: